Sata flies out

President Michael Sata yesterday visited his son Kazimu who is admitted to Milpark Hospital, in Johannesburg, South African.

Mr Kazimu Sata was involved in a tragic road accident last week in Kitwe.

According to a statement issued last evening by presidential press aide George Chellah, President Sata was accompanied by First Lady Christine Kaseba and was received in South Africa by Zambia’s High Commissioner to that country Mayeba Chikonde and other diplomatic staff.

Kazimu Sata, Steven Kawandami, the son of Chief and Traditional Affairs deputy minister Susan Kawandami and Musambachime Muyofu sustained injuries after the vehicle in which they were travelling overturned opposite Moba Hotel in Kitwe.

President Sata has for the last 30 days remained out of public appearance .

State House circulated pictures of the Head of State and his wife on the bedside of Kazimu.

Earlier in the morning, the Daily Nation drove past State House main entrance and found that the military sentries were not in their positions and the presidential flag was not flying while the national flag was airborne.

Vice-President Guy Scott when asked whether President Sata had quietly left the country again wondered why the reporter was asking him about the whereabouts of the Head of State when he (Sata) had his officials.

“You cannot ask the Vice-President about the whereabouts of the President. Why don’t you try his officials? Dr Scott advised.

Secretary to the Cabinet Roland Msiska even before being asked a question quipped: “You again” before cutting the call.

However, Minister of Information and Broadcasting Services Joseph Katema confirmed to the Daily Nation yesterday that President Sata had left the country.

This is  when Dr Katema was told that the military sentries had been removed from their position at the main entrance of State House and that the presidential flag was not flying.

“It means the President has left the country,” Dr Katema said.

He however terminated the call without stating where the Head of State had gone to and who was acting President.

President Sata has remained out of public appearance for 30 days now and his absence has been a subject of sustained debate in Parliament and public.