State House hunger strike delayed

THE Patriotic Front has advised the family of the late (PF) cadre, Moses Simuwelu, not to proceed with the planned hunger protest at State House as there is a chance that the new ruling party secretary general, Edgar Lungu, will resolve the matter.

Luckson Simuwelu, the uncle of the deceased, told the Daily Nation that they had written to the new PF secretary general demanding for compensation of K150, 000 from the party on the death of their son.

Mr Simuwelu explained that family members had planned to go on a hunger strike at the gates of State House this week but some senior PF officials intervened and advised them to channel their grievances through the new party chief executive.

He said the family had resolved to stage a hunger strike at State House in an effort to compel President Michael Sata and the PF party to compensate them for their loss.

“Despite taking all the necessary avenues to demand for compensation there has been no response from the party responsible for the death. Our child was murdered while on duty and the ruling party is pretending like nothing happened.

“It is very unfair that they can just forget about their party member who died in the course of duty and I want to tell you that we still have the protest in mind. We just want to hear what the new secretary-general will tell us,” Mr Simuwelu said.

Moses Simuwelu, a PF cadre from Kanyama compound was killed by machete wielding cadres in a fierce intra-party clash on  November 2014, near the airport roundabout in Chelstone.

He explained that it has been months now since the family wrote to the party and the President demanding for compensation but nothing fruitful had come of it.

Mr Simuwelu said the PF party officials had told him that the people that were blocking their compensation were no longer there and that this was a chance for Mr Lungu to sort out the matter.

He complained that there was no remorse shown by the Patriotic Front leadership even after moods died in the course of duty and the family was being taken for granted by the party’s top leadership.

Mr Simuwelu said it was clear that Moses was murdered by fellow PF cadres and that the final postmortem report indicated that he did not die of natural causes.

An initial postmortem conducted by a foreign doctor immediately after the death of Moses stated that he died of natural causes while the second postmortem carried out by pathologist Dr Neil Nkhanza revealed that the deceased had suffered some injuries.

Mr Simuwelu said the final report by Dr Nkhanza was evidence enough that their son was murdered by his colleagues within the PF party.

About 30 members of the Simuwelu family have agreed to stage a protest at the gates of State House until they were compensated for the death of Moses.