POLICE are still investigating the matter in which a classified letter from the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) to President Edgar Lungu was leaked and contents published by the Post newspaper.
This is in a matter in which the Anti-Corruption Commission was investigating allegations that President Edgar Lungu’s special assistant for political affairs, Kaizer Zulu, had solicited for a bribe amounting to US$200,000 from a Chinese construction company, Hua-Jiang as inducement for him to facilitate a meeting between the contractor and the Head of State.
The letter was leaked to the Post newspaper who subsequently published a story about the investigations by the ACC, thereby prompting speculations that the letter was leaked from ACC director general Rosewin Wandi’s office.
Two weeks ago, police summoned Post newspaper Editor-in-chief Fred M’membe and two reporters for questioning over the leaked document.
However, the ACC last week announced that Mr. Zulu was cleared of any wrongdoing over the case.
ACC public relations manager Timothy Moono said the commission had conducted preliminary investigations into the allegations against Mr Zulu and that the claims were not substantiated and that the matter had since been closed.
“I wish to state that the commission conducted preliminary investigations into allegations that Mr Kaizer Zulu received a bribe amounting to US$200,000 from a Chinese contractor as an inducement for him to facilitate a meeting between the contractor and the President.
“The commission concluded the investigations into the matter and the allegations were not substantiated. The matter has since been closed,” Mr Moono said.
But when contacted for a comment last Friday, police spokesperson Charity Chanda told the Daily Nation that the case was still active and under investigations.
She however refused to divulge how far the investigations had gone, saying it was against the police code of ethics to release the information to the media prematurely.
“That issue is still under investigations and we cannot give you the details of how far we have gone because we are not obliged to disclose details of cases under investigation to the media before they are concluded,” Ms. Chanda explained.
The Chinese contractor who is alleged to have offered a US$ 200,000 bribe to Mr Zulu denied ever offering such a bribe and that he had never reported to any institution about the alleged bribe.