THE Kavindele brothers have withdrawn their criminal complaint against President Edgar Lungu’s political advisor, Kaizer Zulu, stating that they had reconciled and would therefore not want the matter to proceed to court.
Enoch Kavindele Jr and his brother Kaunda said they had decided to voluntarily withdraw their assault complaint against Mr Zulu because the two parties had reconciled.
In a letter dated 29th September, 2015 to the officer-in-charge at Woodlands police station, the two Kavindele brothers said they had decided against going ahead with the matter in court.
The letter captioned ‘Withdrawal of criminal complaint against Mr Kaizer Zulu’ stated: “We wish to advise that we have voluntarily decided to withdraw this matter as we have reconciled with Mr Kaizer Zulu. We sincerely thank your good offices for the assistance rendered to us and the professional manner this matter was handled.”
The letter was signed by both Kavindele Jr and his brother Kaunda. Efforts to get Mr Zulu for a comment failed as his mobile phone were unreachable by press time.
But Mr Kavindele Jr when contacted said he was unable to comment on the matter and assured the reporter that he would be able to make a statement in a few days.
Inspector General of Police Stella Libongani when asked if she was aware of the Kavindele brothers withdrawing their criminal assault case against Mr Zulu said she had not been informed and referred the report to Lusaka Police Commissioner Charity Katanga.
Ms Libongani said it was normal for her not to have been informed about the withdrawal of the case because the matter was being handled by the province.
Mrs Katanga when reached said she was unable to make a comment because she was out of town on the Copperbelt for family matters.
“I cannot comment until tomorrow after verifying the facts. As at now, I am not in the office and I have not been informed. I do not want to comment on things that I have no facts for,” Mrs Katanga said.
Mr Zulu was arrested last week and was charged with threatening violence and discharging of ammunition in a public place and was released on bond on Saturday.